Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Too many projects?

Perhaps it's "new blogger exuberance", but I'm finding that I keep proposing new projects for myself, and I need to do some prioritizing or I won't get any of them done.

The Black City
I've crumpled at least 3 map attempts to make a surface ruins of the Black City that I like; I've been feeling a bit blocked (but my friend Dave has come to the rescue with some super cool inspirational sketches).  I feel a blitz of cool Black City development coming on, once I get a workable surface map.  (Or I'll just skip the surface for now).

War Machine and Domain Economics for Greyhawk
The progress of the Ghoul Plague in my weekly game (and getting to use the companion set War Machine) got me thinking how cool it would be to stat out all the Greyhawk nations similar to the old Known World of Mystara, and create the standing armies in War Machine terms.

AD&D Implied Setting
I've been using the AD&D DMG more and more at the table for ideas (not rules) and it got me thinking about going through the whole thing and creating a list of attributes that would be part of any core D&D setting if one played 100% by-the-book.

For instance, if you use the training rules in the DMG, it implies the ready availability of paid trainers in some of the home bases, which would imply an economy where adventurers show up for training... maybe even adventurer guilds for networking with trainers.  That's just one element, and the DMG is full of them!

I threw another quick poll on the side there - which project is most interesting to readers?

Oh, and to help apologize for some blatant navel-gazing, here are some interesting quotes on sandboxes vs railroads to ponder - since I mentioned I'm introducing some metaplot to my sandbox:

Sandbox: An imaginary environment within which the game master builds enough railroad tracks to create the illusion that the players aren't being railroaded.

--Frank Mentzer, BECMI author


Railroading is a perjorative term for a game where something gets done.    Most players would rather be on the Orient Express than standing in the station waiting for something to happen.

--Ken Hite (Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu author)